Friday, July 29, 2011

The Making of a Custom Baby Items Quilt

I received an order from an amazing lady (who wishes to remain anonymous) to create two custom baby quilts using items she used when her little boy was an infant.  I created these quilts using pieces of some of his little outfits, pieces from his crib sheets and receiving blankets, pieces from a pillow cover and pieces from the moby she used to carry her baby when he was tiny.  It even included pieces from the comforter that she used when she was pregnant.  I thought that that just made these quilts all the more special.

This was quite an undertaking.  It is very similar to putting together a jigsaw puzzle.  trying to make all of the pieces fit and make a pleasing quilt all at the same time.  My client chose Moda's Hushabye and Amy Butler's Turquoise Sandalwood as the accent fabrics.  They're both gorgeous fabrics in their own right and they really came together to set off the quilts.

Here are a few pictures of some of the blocks as I was initially putting the quilt together.

 The blue and white blocks were made with a minky blanket and after much consideration were not used in the quilt.

 I have a design wall in my studio that I lay my blocks out on to try to capture the best possible layout before I actuallly start putting the quilt together.



Here is one possible layout that I was considering before we scrapped the minky blocks.

Above is a picture of the first quilt right after I finished piecing it. I don't know if you can tell but all of the baby clothes are in the four blocks in the center.


The first quilt finished, quilted and bound.


To the right is quilt number two right after it was pieced.

This was one of his little t-shirts and it says, "My Dad Totally Rocks".  I thought this one was really cute.  I can't wait to make Mikayla, my Granddaughter, a little quilt with nothing but t-shirts that say, "My Grandma Totally Rocks".  Okay, I guess I could include one each to honor her Grandpa, Mommy and Daddy, maybe.  She is 20 months old now and she has recently started calling her Grandpa "Bompa".  I love when they are real little and say some of the craziest things.  She's also started saying, "Loves you".  Okay, let me get this train back on the track.

To the right is a picture of the second quilt finished.  I'm thrilled with the way they both turned out.                                                                                              

On Monday I'm going to start on a new t-shirt quilt for one of my girlfriends.  She is making it as a birthday present for her son who is now in college.  I will try to take pictures and share them daily as I go along.

I would like to share a picture with you of Mikayla, my favorite little person.  We took a trip about a month or so ago and I'm not sure who she was calling but she was acting like her foot was a phone.  This child keeps us thoroughly entertained.  Whenever I'm down about anything if I can spend just 10 minutes with this baby any and all cares go right out the window.


I am proud to announce that we are now up to 3 followers and I pray that Monday will find us with 5.  We'll get there!

I will let you ponder this over the weekend.

The jump is so frightening between where I am and where I want to be. Because of all I may become, I will close my eyes and leap. - Mary Anne Radmacher

Until Monday, May the LORD bless you in every possible way!

No comments:

Post a Comment